PortaGlory wants to be sure that every order is a GREAT experience. We want you to love your new toys and stand behind all our products with a 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee. We will do everything we can to quickly resolve any concerns you might have.
"CHANGED MY MIND" REFUND POLICY
PortaGlory pays a 3.5% processing fee for every credit card transaction, including purchases AND refunds. If you wake up the next morning and decide that you no longer want the order that you placed the night before, then PortaGlory will issue you a refund of 93% of the purchase price. The remaining 7% will go directly to the credit card processor. Thank you in advance for understanding.
We are bummed that you have an issue with a defective product. Email us at anon@PortaGlory.club, and we will be happy to assist you with a replacement or store credit.
We are here to serve YOU. Email us if you have any questions: anon@PortaGlory.club